The CCA lecture in CIA PG last night was flat. I need to rewrite this lecture from scratch to make it more engaging. Some of the improvements needed include:
- Get rid of the calculation of the firm specific rate of inflation. It does nothing for achieving the learning outcomes and just confuses student by adding unnecessary complexity
- Add some graphs to show the movement over the year of the monetary items.
- Get rid of the second year in the example
- Set up an exercise to be done in pairs to evaluate HC versus CCA measures of performance
- Add some pictures
- Explain depreciation and compare declining carrying amounts using NPV, FV, HCA straight line, HC reducting balance. Use graphs.
- Demonstrate DCF based periodic income
- Talk about industrial disinvestment in Australia in the 70s - Barton's article - and the Button steel and car plans